How Much Does A Bar Mitzvah Really Cost? | MitzvahMarket | MitzvahMarket

How Much Does A Bar Mitzvah Really Cost?

How Much Does A Bar Mitzvah Really Cost?

We understand that money can be a sensitive topic to discuss, but sometimes in life, the difficult conversations are the most important ones to have. Between a venue, entertainment, party favors, food, and dressing the whole family, the price of hosting a Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah can add up very quickly.

Of course, there are cost-saving measures you can take to keep expenses down when planning: using DIY projects wherever you can, renting or buying secondhand décor and clothing, opting for a modest venue space, and much more. But if you’ve never planned a party of this scale before, you still may find yourself surprised with the totals at the end of the day.

To help answer some of these burning questions, we anonymously surveyed Mitzvah Marketers just like you to see how much they spent on B Mitzvah planning and get their advice on getting the best bang for your buck at your upcoming party.

What’s the Average Cost?

Calculating the true average cost of a B Mitzvah is difficult since everyone has their own spending priorities and budgets. Factors like income and place of residence can obviously have a huge impact on what you are able to spend and what the average family in your area is spending as well. So while we can’t know exactly how much is being spent on the average B Mitzvah, we can get a pretty good idea of spending trends.

When asked how much money they have previously spent on a Bar or Bat Mitzvah party (or how much they’re planning to spend at an upcoming one), a third of survey respondents estimated they would spend somewhere between one thousand and 10 thousand dollars. Another third indicated a budget ranging from 10 to 30 thousand dollars, and the final third estimated spending more than 30 thousand dollars on their child’s big day.

What’s the Most and Least Expensive Part of Party Planning?

When asked which part of Mitzvah planning was the most expensive, 80% of people surveyed said that food and catering were the costliest part of the party. The other 20% said that the venue put the biggest dent in their budget.

When asked what they spent the least amount of money on for their B Mitzvah, nearly everyone responded that invitations were the most wallet-friendly aspect of planning. Some respondents noted that they sent out electronic invitations instead of paper ones which made it even more affordable.

What Do Other Planners Have to Say?

At the end of the survey, we asked party planning parents to share their best advice for planning a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Here’s some of what they had to say:

“Don’t scrimp on the photography. It’s the only thing that will hold your memories. What’s the value of those?”

“Make a budget and attempt to stick to it. Try to avoid unnecessary expenditures.”

“Do a lot of research and stay organized. If on tight budget, prioritize what is important and do a lot of DIY.”

“It will all work out.”

“Talk to others who have done it before for advice – it helps!”

The Takeaways

  • The main lesson to learn from these survey results is that there is no wrong way to have a B Mitzvah. Budgets can range from minimal to extravagant, all depending on personal needs and priorities.
  • Across the board, feeding your guests seems to be the most expensive part of throwing a Mitzvah, so be sure to take that into account when mapping out your budget.
  • DIY projects are your best friend. Not only are they more cost effective, but they can add character and personal touches to your party or venue. Check out our article on unique DIY party favors to consider for your event!
  • Prioritize the things that are most important to you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help in planning your party.


Want to share your experiences? This survey is still live, and we’d love to hear from you! Take the survey now!


By Vered Ornstein

Posted in Mitzvah Advice, Mitzvah Organizer

Comments are closed.

Check out other Mom to Mom advice.