DanceJock Productions is a full time, highly professional, DJ Entertainment and Event Production company that can design and plan your entire event.
Owner Scott Neglia has been working Bar/Bat Mitzvahs for over 20 years and is giving us some advice on how to decide if a 4 hour or 5 hour party is right for your family’s celebration.
The traditional 5 hour party usually starts with a 1 hour cocktail hour. Lately, many venues are offering a condensed 4 hour cocktail party in one room without a formal cocktail hour.
It’s a very personal choice based on the type of guests you are inviting and the type of celebration you want for your child.
Scott is giving us some things to consider before making this decision for your celebration.
Advantages of a 4 hour cocktail party:
1. You will have a high energy party with few or no breaks for your guests.
2. The crowd doesn’t get bored or feel that the party is dragging on for too long.
3. This type of party works well if your crowd is attending many Bar/Bat Mitzvahs each weekend.
4. This is also a great option for a child or families that aren’t big dancers.
5. There is the potential to save on catering and some of the other vendors you hire.
Disadvantages of a 4 hour party:
1. You will have a shorter celebration with NO true cocktail hour.
2. There will be very few, if any breaks where the music comes down and your guests can catch their breath and reboot.
3. With a shorter time span, sometimes your party might lose “focus” for specialty items because of the fast pace and it’s hard to fit them all in (i.e. toasts, candle lighting, montage etc.)
4. You are eliminating a cocktail hour which tends to be the adults favorite time for food, drinks and chatting with other guests. Your adults will have less time to “ramp up” for the party.
5. When you don’t move from the cocktail hour room to your party room, you lose the “wow” factor of your guests seeing your theme or decor for the first time.
6. Your buffet dinner will be open for an extended period of time which makes it harder to focus everyone on the dance floor at the same time.
Ultimately, no one can tell you which is a better option. Now you are armed with some facts and can make the best decision for your family.
To learn more about DanceJock Productions, visit their extended profile page in our Vendor Directory.